UK’s Largest Lung Cancer Screening Trial Launches in Leeds
The trial, carried out in partnership with Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, the University of Leeds and Leeds City Council, will test the effectiveness of community-based lung health checks in Leeds, inviting those at high risk of developing lung cancer.Jo Quarterman
Published 09 November 2018
EMS Healthcare’s innovative Liberty unit will be connected to a mobile CT scanner, provided by Alliance Medical and taken into leisure centre and supermarket car parks providing participating patients with an accessible and comfortable treatment environment.
Dr Kathryn Scott, Chief Executive at Yorkshire Cancer Research, said: “We are delighted to be funding this trial which tackles the biggest health problem currently facing our region. The outcomes of this initiative will be instrumental in influencing how we deliver effective lung diagnosis services in the future, and in ultimately improving patient outcomes.
“By partnering with EMS Healthcare and Alliance Medical, we are bringing the trial direct into the heart of our communities, putting patient wellbeing first.”
Dr Matthew Callister, Consultant Respiratory Medicine and project lead at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, added: “The Lung Health Checks carried out in the mobile units will enable us to detect lung disease including cancer at an early stage when treatments are much more effective. Lung cancer is the biggest cancer killer in Yorkshire, and this project will significantly improve outcomes for our patients in Leeds.”
The mobile medical units have been fitted out with an array of specialist equipment. Clinical staff will be able to carry out crucial lung scans on visiting patients, as well as checks of lung function. The Liberty unit has also undergone major refurbishment ahead of the project, creating a modern, relaxed and comfortable environment on board for both patients and staff.
Keith Austin, CEO of EMS Healthcare, commented: “This trial is an outstanding example of how collaboration can address healthcare challenges, and truly advance services in local communities. Working alongside Alliance Medical, we have been able to create a solution that provides clinicians with everything they need to deliver vital screening in a setting that is both accessible and welcoming for patients.”
Simon Wilsdon, Business Development Manager at Alliance Medical, said: “Collaborating with EMS Healthcare on the creation of this unit has allowed us to deliver a solution that will make a real difference to the lives of so many people. We’re honoured to be part of such an important trial for the region.”
 CancerData, Incidence, http://cancerdata.nhs.uk/incidence, Accessed [January 2017].
For more information about the lung screening trial click here.
About Yorkshire Cancer Research
- Harrogate-based Yorkshire Cancer Research was founded in 1925 and is the largest independent regional cancer charity in England (Registered Charity 516898). We are not part of a national charity.
- We are committed to reducing the devastating impact of cancer on the lives of people living in Yorkshire.
- Our mission is to work in partnership, fund research and support initiatives that will help people in Yorkshire avoid, survive and cope with cancer.
- Current statistics show that 583 people are diagnosed with cancer in Yorkshire every week. Incidence and mortality rates are higher than the England average due to social deprivation, post-industrialisation and lifestyle choices but also availability of healthcare services and difficulties accessing early diagnostics, clinical trials and the latest treatments
We aim to:
- Be the leading authority on cancer in Yorkshire, understanding the problems and priorities in the region and sharing knowledge with partners.
- Raise awareness of cancer and how to prevent it by working in local communities, schools and colleges, sports clubs and with other health-related organisations.
- Promote screening programmes and fund research that can improve the diagnosis of cancer, so we can detect and treat it at the earliest opportunity.
- Invest in innovative research projects at every stage of a cancer patient’s journey.
For further information, please visit www.yorkshirecancerresearch.org.uk
About Alliance Medical
Alliance Medical (“AML”) is Europe’s leading independent provider of imaging services operating across the continent. We provide a proven, scalable business model, exceptional service and outstanding value for money coupled with technical excellence. We provide imaging capabilities from Mobile Units, Relocatable Units, Modular Units and Static Units.
Our collaborative approach to imaging places patients, clinicians, NHS and independent providers at the heart of our service. Our network includes leading clinicians, NHS organisations and academic institutions who partner with us, enabling expertise and resources to be shared to deliver a world class, patient-centric service.
AML employs c.450 radiographers and PET Technologists who provide clinical imaging services to over 100 NHS Trusts within the UK / Ire through our network of static and mobile services.